a recent spell of rainshowers and colder-than-usual may temperatures inspired me to whip up one last soup. i suspect it will be my last soup until october (hot soup, that is).
also, i couldn’t resist putting in a picture of my beloved staub (the color is officially called aubergine). along with my wusthof knife, it was probably my best kitchen purchase.
cauliflower and white bean soup (again, i sort of made this up quickly so please excuse any errors)
- a few tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium carrot (or two small carrots), peeled and diced small
- 1 medium or 3/4 large white onion, diced small
- 4-5 stalks of celery, diced small
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced (adjust according to your preference for garlic)
- 1/2 to 1 full head of cauliflower, chopped small with hard stems removed (the amount depends on how much cauliflower you want. i use 1 full head.)
- 1 15oz. can of white beans
- 1 quart vegetable stock (can use chicken also. i am vegetarian so i use veggie)
- crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- shaved parmesan (optional)
1) heat oil in large pot. add carrot, onion, and celery, and cook for about 4-5 minutes. add garlic and cook for 1-2 additional minutes.
2) add cauliflower, pepper, and a few shakes of red pepper flakes. stir to combine. *note: i do not typically add salt here, because there is salt in the veggie broth.
3) reduce heat to as low as possible and cover the pot. let everything cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4) uncover pot and stir. add white beans (with liquid) and vegetable stock. add more pepper, red pepper flakes, and salt, as desired.
5) let soup simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes. you can let it go longer if you want the flavors to develop more.
6) spoon soup into a bowl. top with shaved parmesan, if using.
7) *note: i think some fresh herbs might work nicely in this soup as well. i didn’t have any on hand, which is why they aren’t part of the recipe. i have used parsley and thyme in the past, and the soup was delicious.