since a cupcake apparently does not constitute an appropriate breakfast, i decided to go for something a bit healthier this week. homemade granola + banana + soy vanilla yogurt.
homemade granola recipe (i sort of made this up quickly so please excuse any errors)
- 2 1/2 cups oats (not quick cooking)
- 1 cup sliced almonds (you can reduce if this is too much for you. or you can replace with any chopped nuts that you may fancy.)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup crisped rice cereal
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt to taste (optional)
- a few tablespoons of vegetable oil (optional)
1) preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) mix oats & almonds. spread onto large baking sheet. cook in oven until lightly toasted, stirring every 10 minutes or so. this took me 20 minutes.
3) mix together cranberries & rice cereal in a large mixing bowl.
4) remove oats and almonds from oven and let cool.
5) heat honey in small saucepan until thin and runny. you can add the vegetable oil if necessary to thin it out. take off the heat and stir in the vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. if you like salt in your baked food, add it here. i generally do not cook with salt so i did not add any.
6) add oats & almonds to large bowl with cranberries & rice cereal. stir.
7) pour honey mixture over dry mixture and stir until well coated.
8) spread granola onto baking sheet (make sure to cover the baking sheet with parchment paper beforehand, because the mixture is really sticky!). bake until golden brown and crispy, stirring occasionally. this took me about 35-40 minutes.
9) remove granola from oven and let cool completely, before storing.
I just made Granola with sunflower seeds, almond flakes, sesame seeds, some candied orange peel, + ground cinnamon and ginger . It’s delicious! I eat it with pure yoghurt or a mixture of cottage cheese & sour-cream :)))
Ooo! I like idea of adding ginger and orange! I’ll add it next time I make this.
by itself, or as a cearel. a0However, store bought granola is out-right pricey! a0Not only is homemade granola easy on the budget, it’s also fun to play around with the ingredients. a0You can even make
This sounds like a great recipe. I will try this later this week
Hi! I could have sworn I’ve been to this website prior to but right after sanichreg by way of a few of the publish I recognized it is new to me. Anyways, I’m undoubtedly pleased I discovered it and I’ll be book-marking and checking back again often!