so many blogs have posted on their “fashion essentials,” and since i am rather unoriginal, i thought i would do the same. note that these are not essentials that i think every woman should own; rather, these are the pieces in my wardrobe that work overtime. also, apologies for the washed out black in the photos. am working on figuring out the light situation in my bedroom to take better pictures.
1) gray shirts. i wear them to sleep, to the gym, to the grocery store, to brunch, and sometimes even to work (usually on fridays and sometimes on rainy days just because. no judgment.). mine are from target.
2) superga slip ons. i am a big walker (because when you get off the subway, even if the train was running perfectly on time, you hate everyone and everything) and go through several pairs of these a year. they have thick soles so are more comfortable for long distances, as compared to ballet flats or even tom’s, and look respectable enough to not be embarrassed when your boss comments on them in the elevator on your way into work.
3) lacy black underwear. i am not sure if you know, but i like (love) underwear. my current favorites for comfortable black briefs that don’t show any lines are these.
4) cream blouses. i didn’t even know this was an essential until i surveyed my closet, and realized most of my tops are shades of cream and white. i wear them through every season. the blouses pictured range from equipment and dvf to forever 21.
5) fitted blazers. i used to accept the j.crew schoolboy blazer as an allowable piece for my work wardrobe until i tried on a fitted billy reid blazer and started reevaluating all my life choices. the j.crew blazer, though it works for some, is just not the right shape for my body. i need skinny arms and a longer length, with a slight nipped in waist, to not feel like i am in some sad 80’s sitcom. these blazers are such an important part of my closet that i did close-ups of each (i own nine blazers total).
going out. one from theory and another from forever 21.
emporio armani (part of a suit, which is a necessity for my job). sorry about the washed out picture – was having trouble with the lighting.
posts like these are particularly interesting for me to create, because they make you think carefully about how you spend your money. ideally, the majority of your fashion budget should go to these essentials, since these are the items you wear the most.
i would say this is true for me with the exception of t-shirts. t-shirts wear down so quickly so i can’t justify spending more than $10 on them. in contrast, those billy reid and smythe blazers have been worth every penny. they are a few years old but still look and feel great, and they really elevate an outfit.